As hundreds of thousands of Big Apple residents suffer in homes left without power by Hurricane Sandy, two massive generators are being run 24/7 in Central Park — to juice a media tent for Sunday’s New York City Marathon.
And a third “backup” unit sits idle, in case one of the generators fails.
The three diesel-powered generators crank out 800 kilowatts — enough to power 400 homes in ravaged areas like Staten Island, the Rockaways and downtown Manhattan.
- mollyblock likes this
- cheesywino likes this
- thehairdryertreatment reblogged this from felixsalmon
- nateberkopec said: yeah, and fuck the $1M that the marathon organizers donated to relief efforts, right? what penny pinchers for not throwing in 3 generators too.
- professorxorn reblogged this from felixsalmon
- kaliforniaaa-diamond likes this
- zigziggityzoo reblogged this from brianvan
- gbattle likes this
- brianvan reblogged this from felixsalmon
- ugenegod2261 reblogged this from felixsalmon
- ugenegod2261 likes this
- felixsalmon posted this